Muggiano Shipyard started its production in 1883 in La Spezia as "Giorgio Henfrey & C.", repairing ships used to transport mineral ore for the "Pertusola" foundry.
In 1887, when the yard was taken over by the British company “Continental Lead and Iron Company Limited” the yard started to build steel sailing vessels and in 1987 it was taken over by "Hofer, Manaira & C.", later succeeded by "Società Company Anonima Cantieri Navali del Muggiano" (SACNM).
In 1906 the shipyard was taken over by " Cantieri Navali Navali Riuniti", Genoa and in 1907 changed its name to "Fiat-San Giorgio" becoming famous worldwide building submarines for Italy, Brazil, Portugal, Great Britain, Japan, Russia, Sweden, Holland.
During the 1940s the yard was incorporated into "Ansaldo". From 1971, as "Cantiere Navale Muggiano S.p.A." the shipyard continued to produce merchant ships until 1975 when it returned to its traditional naval vocation - enhanced by its incorporation into Cantieri Navali Riuniti at the end of 1981 - building vessels for the Italian Navy and the navies of various countries: Libya, Ecuador, Peru, Venezuela, Iraq.
In 1984, when Fincantieri took control of the company, the yard became part of the current Naval Vessel Business Unit alongside Riva Trigoso yard, with which its production is successfully integrated: indeed Muggiano is responsible for managing the final fitting out phases and pre-delivery trails also for vessels built and launched at Riva Trigoso.
The most important ships of the Italian Navy in recent decades have been built by this shipyard, for example, the cruisers "Zara" and "Duca degli Abruzzi" of the 1930s in addition to numerous special steamships and motor ships of diverse tonnages.
Recent vessels include: “Comandanti” class patrol vessels (2001-2002) – launched at Riva Trigoso and fitted out at Muggiano – and “Diciotti” class vessels (since 2002), the multi-purpose support ship “Elettra” (2003), and the fitting out of the open sea patrol vessels “Sirio” and “Orione” (2003).
Since the outset the yard gained a reputation worldwide for the contruction of navall vessels, especially subarines, The tradition has continued successfully till today, indeed in decembre 2004 the “Scirè” was launched, the 100th submarine built at the yard.
The yard has also built merchant ships such as the six bulk carriers in the series “Capitani del Lavoro” in the mid 1950s and the cargo motor ships “Hanyang” (1968) and “Tosong” (1969).
The Nibbio class hydrofoils were built for the Italian Navy here in Muggiano; built entirely in light alloy, these vessels constitute a milestone in terms of their technological content with an important impact in later years on the development of production models of fast, high tech ships for non-military use. Indeed, as a result of the success of the "Destriero" - which won the prestigious "Blue Ribbon" crossing the Atlantic at the outstanding average speed of 53 knots - fast ferries for the transport of passengers and vehicles, built during the 1990s in the complementary Riva Trigoso shipyard, were fitted out in the Muggiano yard: four for Sea Containers Italia ("SuperSeaCat" 1, 2, 3, 4), two for Ocean Bridge ("Pegasus" 1, 2) and four for Tirrenia di Navigazione ("Aries", "Taurus", "Scorpio" and "Capricorn).
Due mention should be made of some more recent constructions: the refitting of four “Sauro” class submarines, the construction of a patrol vessel for the Armed Forces of Malta and the fitting out of the fast ferry “Gotlandia II” for the Swedish owner Rederi AB Gotland.
The shipyard is currently engaged in completing the U212A class submarine “Scirè” for the Italian Navy. The yard also built the prow section and superstructure of the “Cavour”, the new aircraft carrier which will become the flagship of the Italian fleet, launched in July 2004 at Riva Trigoso yard. The two sections were joined together at Muggiano where fitting out is currently in progress for delivery due at the end of 2007.
Together with Riva yard Muggiano shipyard is building two “Orizzonte” class frigates, the “Andrea Doria” and the “Caio Duilio”, for delivery in 2007 and 2009 and will also take part in the Italian-French FREMM programme.
The order book also includes functional upgrading and maintenance work on the platform of the “Sagittario” and “Perseo” frigates which are scheduled to be transferred, as their previous two sister ships, the “Lupo” and “Orasa” (delivered in 2005), by the Italian Navy to the Peruvian Navy, two multi-purpose tugs, Anchor handling Tug Supply Vessels for the Genoese owner Rimorchiatori Riuniti, for delivery at the end of 2007 and autumn 2008 (in cooperation with Riva Trigoso), an oceanographic vessel, for delivery in autumn 2007 for the national Institute of Ocean Technology of Chennai-India (in cooperation with Riva Trigoso) and a mega yacht of over 130 metres long which, when delivered in 2010, will be the largest ordered in the world by a private owner.
In the years to come the yard will build further mega yachts, pleasure craft of over 70 metres, within the framework of cooperation recently draswn up with Azimuth-Benetti.
Viale San bartolomeo, 446
19126 Muggiano (La Spezia)
tel. +39 0187 543238
fax +39 0187 543239